Sunday, January 29, 2012

It All Started at Wal Mart...

I found  adorable heart shaped paper plates at Wal Mart. In a package of 6 for 97 cents.
 Irresistible!!
Then, at Hobby Lobby I found a bottle of glitter named Bubble Gum. It was pink and crystal mixed together. No passing that up. It was $1.47. ( You could use what you have on hand and I'm actually going to do some with red glitter dots on the red. Just as cute!) I used a Spouncer ( remember those from a previous post??) dipped in Mod Podge to make my glittery polka dots.


 I painted the back of the plate red to make it look a little nicer.
Then I spray painted a General Foods International Coffee can with black chalkboard paint. I did give it a light coat of Kilz primer first because it was sitting on the table where I was painting. I don't think it's a necessity if you don't have any primer. This is one of the older metal cans. You could use a clay pot, a paper cup, a little bucket from Target's Dollar Spot,etc. Whatever you have.


Next I painted some paintsticks green.
 
Can't leave them plain- so stripes and dots are next. Just  get creative.



Then I used a little Plaster of Paris to "plant" my paintstick in the coffee can. I added some Easter grass to cover the P of P and tied on a scrap of polka dotted green ribbon. You could add leaves with fun foam or small wooden hearts painted green would be cute.

You can write a message or the name of the person who is going to receive this on the chalkboard painted can. I added some Hershey Kisses on top of the Easter grass.
 What's a Valentine with out chocolate??
And then, because we all know that once I get a theme I can't get stopped (remember Candy Corn and Candy Canes and then the Snowman overload???) I made a small version. I still have some of those little galvanized buckets left so I used that, a green jumbo craft stick, two of those ice cream spoon shaped wooden pieces and a red glitter fun foam heart cut out. I stuck some air dry clay in the bucket to hold it all together and added some Easter grass. So cute and it's just big enough to hold about 3 Hershey kisses. A cute little Valentine for someone or a great "place card" at a Valentine's meal.

A fun little valentine's day project for all ages. You don't even have to cut out a heart shape!! Start with the plates and a little Tacky Glue will hold it all together!

Southern LovelyDesign Dazzle

mop it up mondays


5 comments:

  1. So cute! I love the sparkly stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! So simple and inexpensive. I'm your newest follower. If you get a chance stop over to www.thenymelrosefamily.blogspot.com/2012/01/valentine-topiary.html to check out my Valentine Topiary. I found you at Skip to my Lou. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't all things "start at Walmart"? LOL! I love this...it's so sweet. Would be adorable to line up a few down the middle of a table or mantle. I would be delighted if you'd link up to my brand new party: http://www.ishouldbemoppingthefloor.com/2012/01/mop-it-up-mondays-party-1.html

    {HUGS},
    kristi
    (your newest follower)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute !


    http://sailingwithbarefeet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete