Monday, March 26, 2012

Trash to Treasure..

There was a Hobby Day at church and the organizer asked me to do a little "trash to treasure" project with the ladies who attended. It was so well organized - the ladies rotated to 6 different tables (one of our Seniors called it "speed crafting"!! I wanted to ask if she had been speed dating before?? Haha!) and we had a delicious lunch during our break. There was a quilter, knitter, jewelry maker, stamping and scrapbooking and "trashy" me :) We only had 30 minutes per rotation so it had to be a simple project. I brought along some examples of my trash to treasure projects to provide inspiration.
 
The "ladies" aged from 6th graders to over 65 years young. I'm used to teaching children but thoroughly enjoyed this table of Youth - of course, I taught them when they were children so it was great to reconnect.

This was our project - a small wooden sign with a bottle cap and paintstick flower. A simple, Spring-y project with two of my favorite recycle/repurpose materials. I chose the word "bloom" and replaced one of the "O's" with my flower.


It was a scaled down version of this inspiration sign* (remember 30 minute time allowance!):


Everyone got creative and made some great looking signs!
* I saw "Scatter Joy" on something on Pinterest and decided to paint it on a Spring-y sign for my newly painted tangerine door!!!  It is not getting rave reviews from the fam but I wanted something fun... I have a traditional home, I live in Atlanta - land of the brick traditional 5/4 and a door and am surrounded by black and red front doors!! Nothing wrong with either one but just not me. But I can't choose just any color because my brick is not my favorite brick ever. But as I tell the kiddos, "You get what you get and you don't pitch a fit!!" I would say that ugly brick would be a deal breaker on my next house hunt but if you know me then you know that if said house was on an island or in close proximity to any salt water of any kind I would move in it if the brick were purple!!! :)

Linking Up:

Funky Junk Interiors


MotivatedMondayatBeColorfulBetween Naps On the Porch
Between Naps On the PorchUndertheTableandDreaming
http://www.thethriftyhome.comSouthern Lovely

7 comments:

  1. SO FUN!! I love the signs, they are adorable! You HAVE to post pictures of that tangerine door. I'm the same way, we are totally renovating our home and I told hubby I wanted a lime green or tangerine door with our iron gray siding. He's like whhhhhat?! HAHA! but I want my home to be a reflection of me and I'm totally NOT a tan or beige person. Have a great week! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love the "Bloom" sign with the flower. If they were still alive, I'd want one of those for "you-know-whose" porch. The uncle would have loved it....think the aunt would also. Keep up the good work! You're so clever and gifted. MOM D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so cute and the kind of thing that we sell at our Traveling Door. I don't understand the lack of positive reviews because I think the Scatter Joy is perfect... and on an orange door? I swoon. :D
    Thanks for sharing on BeColorful
    pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Visiting from tt&j. Love your craft projects! I wish my church had a Hobby Day! Everything you made is awesome!

    Im going to poke around your site some more. I would love for you share this at my Friday Link Up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look GREAT!! I want to make one! Thanks for sharing such a fun project at Shine on Fridays; glad to have you partying with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you so much for linking up last week! You were one of my favorite links! Check it out tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fun colors on this! Thank you for sharing it with us~

    ReplyDelete