Thursday, May 24, 2012

Another Man's Treasure...

 I've been a little MIA from the blog but I've been super busy... what I said is true. I have been running around getting ready for Summer at work. Literally hundreds of children will be involved in our programs in the next few weeks ( School is out here!!) so I am getting everything organized.
The stacks of Dick Blick canvases are waiting for little artists.

And then my favorite art materials - recycled items. (One Man's trash is another man's treasure or at least art supply!) Oh, the art it will become - sounds like a Dr. Seuss story on found art!


I have been sorting and organizing all the items that parents have brought in to me. You can learn a lot from people's trash.I feel like an anthropologist or something. I have found that overall we eat healthy cereals - only one sugary cereal box in the stack ( or maybe people are embarrassed by the amount of sugary cereal they eat and are recycling those at home?) Paper towel tubes are easy to organize but toilet paper tubes are all over the place (at least when you are collecting hundreds - yep, like 500.) And all toilet paper tubes are not the same length or diameter - who knew? AND, toilet paper tubes being used in art projects cause children to howl with laughter if there is one speck of toilet paper left on the roll. True story. And no, I do not know why!

And then my all time favorite recycled art supply ..... lots and lots of bottle caps!!! I have used them in project after project after project.  ( BTW, we drink a lot of Gatorade and OJ - for those of you interested in my anthropological findings.)


College Girl came home for a few days and spent a whole day in my office turning big boxes of lids in to this awesome color co-ordinated spot. She did this last week and the cardboard box of mixed lids on the end have come in since!!! When I send out the "all call" for lids my people take me seriously!!! But we use them just as fast!

In appreciation of all her sorting, we did have a nice lunch at a delicious pizza place on the Marietta Square. It was hot and sunny and we ate outside. After lunch, we strolled to the cupcakery across the square and polished off another trillion calories!! It was a delicious day!
 
I'm looking forward to posting pics of all the great projects we create from "one man's trash" in the next couple weeks !!

No comments:

Post a Comment