Monday, March 9, 2015

Decorating in Real Life...

...and REAL time!
 
Keeping it real here.
I started painting my powder room, family room and foyer last year in October.
 
Planned on being finished well before Thanksgiving Christmas.
I finally put the ladder away and threw up some Christmas decorations.
Happy New Year and planning to get right back on it.
Valentine's Day has come and gone.
Pinch me! It's almost St. Patty's Day and here we are.
 
 
I painted a yard sale mirror in Sherwin Williams Kumquat a couple of weeks ago.
It's a great color. Just sounds yummy!
 
 
I bought a shade for the amazing pineapple lamp I found at Goodwill a couple of weeks ago.
I really coveted lamps like these on our trips to Hawaii.
And I think finding the right lampshade size is very hard.
 


 
Are you starting to see the "real" in these pics?
I hung the mirror and put the lamp on a family antique, a desk I love.
I hung a favorite Haitian metal artwork above the light switches.
 The jar on the desk contains "paper money" leftover from travels to other countries
 and the tray in the middle has coins from everywhere we've been.
 Because the exchange rate in places like Haiti and Honduras is not too good
the only value is in memories.
 
That's all good but...
the reflection in the mirror is a dresser on a pair of handtrucks that made it up one flight of steps and not the next. All in good time.
 



 And if you can tear your eyes away from the perfect bamboo chair that I found in a very tiny, crowded, maybe a little scary thrift store on Saturday
 you will notice that there isn't a light switch cover on the switches above it.
I took down a brass switch plate when I started painting
 the other day months ago.
I don't want to put brass back up.
I don't know if I should go white to just blend in because, really,
how attractive can you make switches?
 But I just don't know.
This is hard - just like lampshades which I tend to buy in either black or white.
I'll probably just admire the bamboo chair
and worry about the switchplate dilemma another day.
I have wanted a folding bamboo chair for ages...
I passed one up at Ballard's Backroom years ago and
wished I hadn't!!
If you like something for that many years
 then it's a safe bet that it will work someplace in your house.
I'm not sure if the chair will reside in this spot but it's a keeper.
(Especially for the price!! It was the only gem in the place and waaay under $20!!)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment